April 2, 2010

First Prenatal Appointment and First Real Sickness

On a rainy Tuesday, Rob and I showed up at Back Cove Midwives to have our first Prenatal appointment. We met with Martha, one of the MAs there, and answered a billion questions about medical history, my ability to distinguish between Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and Spike's distaste for soft cheeses.
I've been feeling a bit sick to my stomach lately and Martha reassured me that this was normal and would go away by 14 weeks (that's still 6 weeks away!). She said to continue eating crackers and ginger ale to appease my stomach...right before she launched into the importance of getting 96oz of fluid, 60grams of protein, 30mg iron, 1200mg calcium, 800mcgs Folic Acid, and 1000mg of fish oil per day. Last I checked, crackers and ginger ale didn't contain ANY of those ingredients. Maybe they make preggo-crackers laced with folic acid...
I spent the next day at work carefully counting my protein and calcium intake and then promptly threw it all up on Wednesday night. I had the most awful stomach bug that I can ever remember, complete with Fever, diarrhea, chills, dizziness, and sleeping on the bathroom floor. This was NOT morning sickness (although it did strike at exactly 12:01AM). I kept asking Rob if I was dying...being a good husband, he assured me that I was fine. I did call Martha back on Thursday when I had a fever of 101 scared that I would harm Spike. She said to take Tylenol to keep the fever down and drink plenty of fluids (pretty sure I didn't get my 96oz that day). So much for the protein and iron requirements during pregnancy. I did, however, sleep for 21/24 hours, that has to count for something.
I am feeling MUCH better today (Friday) and was able to stomach most of a normal meal. I even ate some protein and calcium! The weather is beautiful and I can't wait for Easter when Dad, Pris, and Steph come up to find out the good news! Don't worry, Reeds, we plan on Skyping you that evening, but you'll already know that by the time you read this.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're feeling better. What an inopportune time for a stomach bug to take up residence. Loving your baby blog. Can't wait to read more. OXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a practice comment.

    ReplyDelete