December 14, 2010

Week Three-Attack of the Purple Face

I guess I haven't had nearly as much time to blog as I thought I would with a newborn in the house. Rob went back to work this week and I have been busier than ever. Luckily, Amelia is quite portable at this stage and seems to love her car seat.

Last Monday I finally called the midwives because something wasn't right with breastfeeding. My nipples and breasts burned all the time and it felt like shards of glass were being pounded into them when Amelia ate-everything I read said "Breastfeeding is not supposed to hurt" but nothing told me what to do if, in fact, it DID hurt...which it did. Jerri, one of the midwives at Back Cove is also a lactation consultant so I called and made an appointment with her. She diagnosed me with a yeast infection and prescribed Gentian Violet. If you feel so inclined, do a Google Image search for Gentian Violet and you will see many adorable babies with purple mouths (also see the pictures of Amelia below). This stuff stains. Who knows what it is made of and you can only find it at homeopathic herbal voodoo stores-BUT IT WORKS! Amelia never got thrush, which is a yeast infection in babies mouths, and was never bothered by the purple face. It is finally gone (the pain and the purple face) as you can see in the top picture (this blog puts pictures in reverse order for some reason). So, my warning to all of you young women who may someday breastfeed...it's not supposed to hurt! If it does, go see someone! It can be better. Learn from me, I waited way too long to seek help.

In less painful news, Amelia is now 9lbs 11oz...she has gained almost a full pound in a week! She is starting to smile in response to us and loves to stare at faces. I spend most of the day just staring at her (and taking pictures). My neck is actually a bit sore from looking down at her when she eats. Ahhh....love.

She is a great sleeper, she has pulled a number of 5-6hour stretches at night letting Mommy and Daddy get almost a full night's sleep! See...no more purple face.
The Boppy Pillow specifically says NO SLEEPING...
She loves to sleep on us...notice the burp cloth to protect Daddy from purple spit-up.
Staring at the Christmas Tree.
WARNING: NO SLEEPING
Obviously a girl with a purple face and a giraffe growing out of her head would be enthralled by a hanging zebra.
A newborn outfit that might be officially too small. She can't quite stretch her legs out.
Much more interested in Daddy than Blueberries for Sal
Brief nap in the crib...she prefers our arms.
Purple face.
Helping Mommy decorate the tree
Ooooohhhh.....water....

1 comment:

  1. how many times a day did u apply the gv to babies mouth

    ReplyDelete