December 17, 2010

One Month Old-If it's wet and isn't yours, it's Amelia's

It's hard to believe that we've had our sweet girl for a month already. As promised by all baby literature, as the 6 week mark approaches she is getting fussier but things are getting easier all at the same time.

Amelia has decided, like her mother, that pooping every day is for the birds and therefore stores it up for a few days. This causes a less than ideal bowel situation, more crankiness, and less sleep for all. Then, however, the "movement" (why is it called a movement anyway?) passes, and after mommy cleans her clothes, diaper pad, walls, and the neighbors house, all is right with the world. The cycle then repeats about every 3 days, I think, since this has only happened twice. Not much of a routine I suppose.

To move on from the subject of bodily fluids, our precious girl has soaked Mommy to the point of needing to change all of her clothes three times this week. Twice, the stream of barely digested breastmilk has exceeded the volume of an average inground pool. I have to admit, I was more upset about the loss of my liquid gold that I worked so hard to produce than the need to change my whole outfit...again. Consequently, the diaper bag is now stocked with a change of clothes for Mom as well as baby. This extra supply of clothes came just in time because at breastfeeding group this week as I carried my naked baby to the scale (she weighed 9lbs 11oz!) she peed all over me. She probably would have been 2oz heavier if she has waited 30 seconds to pee.

Despite the impressive volume of excretions my daughter produces, she has gained 2.5lbs since birth and has apparently reached the magic weight that allows her to sleep through the night. Now, according to the bible (aka: What to Expect the First Year), "Sleeping through the night" means 6 continuous hours from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next. This is not the average adult's definition of sleeping through the night. As the one providing the meal, I must be awake to feed our little munchkin, change her diaper, swaddle her and place the sleepy girl ever so gently in her crib which causes her to switch to a wide awake state. By now it has been an hour since the beginning of the feeding. Then I lay awake in my own bed listening to her protest about being alone in her room. Luckily, this protest has shortened over the past few nights and sometimes only lasts 30 seconds or so. So I don't actually get 6 straight hours of sleep, but all of this is a drastic improvement to the 3 hour schedule which, as you can imagine, only leaves an hour for sleeping. Way to go Amelia!

Enough with the blab...here are the pictures and another video:


How do you bring the laundry and the baby upstairs?

A minor spit up...that sweater is hand wash only. Why did I buy that?
Sporting the "I'm so cool" outfit. She is much trendier than her parents.
She discovered the mirror on her floor-play-mat-with-hangie-things thing. She talked to herself for a half an hour while I folded laundry! Ahh...the life of a stay-at-home mom!

2 comments:

  1. This was a favorite of Jack and Lexi's also. Nice of Aunt Shelley to pass it on to Amelia
    (she certainly does not want to have need of it again).

    Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. that video made me happy :) so so cute

    ReplyDelete