January 3, 2013

Erica is One Month

Well, a month (and two weeks actually) have gone by and our baby girl is already so grown up! At her one month check up she was 11lbs 8oz, a full 3 pounds more than at birth. That's a 35% weight gain in a month! If I put on weight like that I'd be 240lbs by February. She's also grown two inches (to 22 inches) which is why she is busting out of all her 3 month clothing already. It's certainly different having a chubbier baby this time. She's going to catch up to Amelia soon. 

Erica has just started to coo and make eye contact. She has smiled a lot (and no, it's not just gas), and I even think I heard her laugh when Amelia started singing today. She focuses intently on toys and faces and turns toward noises nearby. She even kicks and flails her arms in excitement when she hears Amelia's voice.

She's a spit-up queen, just like her sister, although she eats like a champ. I remember congratulating myself if I was back in bed in an hour when feeding Amelia at night. Now I'm annoyed if my head doesn't return to my pillow for 15 minutes after waking up. Erica chows down so fast sometimes that she sputters and has to catch her breath multiple times. Maybe that's why she spits up so much. With her great weight gain, however, it's just a laundry problem (to quote Linda-the Lactation Consultant at Mercy). 

Speaking of sleep, Erica has been letting me sleep from 10 to 3:30 or so on a regular basis. Then she gets up again around 6 or 7 and joins me in bed until Amelia wakes up. When Rob wasn't working over Christmas break, the whole family slept until 9:30 a few times! 

For the first week or so, having two kids was a harsh adjustment. But now that we've settled in and Amelia has realized Erica is here to stay, it's becoming easier. Plus, I've really enjoyed having a baby to snuggle with again. We love you, Erica!

One Month

 One Week

No comments:

Post a Comment