November 24, 2013

The Big Oh-Three

Amelia turned three last week. Hard to believe I've been a mom for three years, yet it seems like I've been a mom forever. That sounds pretty cliche but cliches come from reality right? Amelia is truly becoming a little girl with her distinct personality, desires, quirks, loves, dislikes, and charm. She has tons of energy at times yet can sit and listen to books or stories for hours. 

She loves books. She would be happy to sit on my lap and read books all day if I had the time (and didn't have a one-year-old also). I try hard to make time to read to Amelia every day and often catch her reading to her animals or to Erica. She has an amazing oral memory. She can hear a book two or three times and have it memorized, word-for-word. Just the other day, I was reading a library book called "The Water Hole" and missed a line. When I flipped the page she flipped it back and said, "Mommy, say 'mmmm, how very delectable'" which was the exact line I missed. Amelia can dictate probably 40+ books and I sometimes hear her reciting them while laying in bed. She loves Amelia Bedelia books, of course, and Curious George. She also loves the Read Aloud Bible Stories that we have, and can recite them all to me. 

Amelia has also started enjoying hearing stories told out loud. She often asks me to tell a Bible story while we are in the car. She's good at filling in details and making sure I don't forget any important points. She's learning more and more about God and often talks about Him. She's in the big girl class at Sunday School now-no longer the nursery or the toddler class-and can usually tell me what she learned. Her teachers say she understands the stories well and has great recall. 

Even though it's November, Amelia still loves to play outside. She doesn't like the wind blowing her hair around so that has posed a challenge lately, but she asks to go out multiple times a day, even at night. We try to get out, but it's hard with a non-walking baby and they both nap during the warmest time of the day. A few days ago, it was beautiful out in the afternoon right after I put Erica down for a nap so I kept Amelia up and we played outside for almost an hour before we started to get too cold. I mentioned how cold her hands were and she said, 'I think some hot chocolate and marshmallows will help with that." Smart girl. She loves to "explore" which to her means pointing to random things and saying or asking what they are. She also enjoys "I spy with my little eye" although whatever you say is always the right answer. 

Inside, Amelia can play for hours with her little people animals. She puts them down for naps, reads them books, lines them up to get coffee, takes them to the playground, gives them tickets to buy things, and corrals them in her fences. She will also make food in her kitchen, usually birthday cake and coffee, and serve it to Rob, Erica, and me. She plays "sleep" with the changing table pad, a pillow, and a blanket and wants Erica and I to sleep with her. Erica isn't so into 'sleep'. She also plays "preschool" a lot, setting her books out as circle time mats and assigning each of her animals a name of one of her preschool friends. She always has a theme and teaches her animals about that topic. 

Speaking of Preschool, Amelia loves it! She has done really well so far, even though she is the youngest in her class. She doesn't really like to color but seems to enjoy painting, which they do a lot of in preschool. She talks about her preschool friends often and sings the songs that they sing all the time. She got to celebrate her birthday at preschool last Tuesday and was so excited to bring chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles in to share. 

Amelia is bright, caring (most of the time), cheerful, and so funny. I love you my little three-year-old!

















No comments:

Post a Comment